The next time you decide to eat at your desk, think again - it may be a source of disease-carrying vermin that can cause food poisoning. These germs survive on the breadcrumbs and other food that drop inside of your keyboard while you snack, and then transmit harmful bacteria like E. coli, coliforms and enterobacteria through their droppings. The Royal Society of Chemistry says dirty workspaces are real health hazards. Workers who fail to keep their desk area clean and crumb-free can get sick simply by typing on a pooped-on keyboard and then picking up a sandwich or piece of fruit with their unwashed hands, the researchers warn.
They warned that mice droppings could also fall between the keys as the rodents snoop around.
"You always have to be careful," The New York Daily News quoted Eiesha Earlington, a financial planner who lives in Woodbridge, N.J.
"On some desks you can see the germs and the dirt creates a little fingerprint, and that's just gross," she said.
She added: "It's disgusting. I usually don't like to have anybody else at my desk except for me.
"I'm definitely the one with the worst desk in the office," said Dawn Bruent, 40, a claims adjustor who lives in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn. "I found ants on my desk once.
"I eat at my desk every day and spend about seven hours at my keyboard.
"I haven't cleaned my desk in about eight months.
"I guess I need to clean it - maybe I will do that tomorrow."
- Epsom salts can ease muscle cramps and pain from inflammation. It can also relieve tired, aching feet and may be used to treat the pain and inflammation of gout. According to the Epsom Salt Council, two cups of Epsom salts should be added to your bath for soaking. One cup of Epsom salts added to a foot bath can be soothing. The water should be as hot as you are able to tolerate. Keep in mind, if you have skin conditions, the water should be warm, not hot, to avoid skin breakdown and further complications.
- Having too much adrenalin in your body due to stress and tension can result in a low magnesium level. Stress can be caused by a deficiency of magnesium in your blood. Soaking in a bath of Epsom salts may allow magnesium to be absorbed through the skin; magnesium then attaches to serotonin, a mood-enhancing hormone, and helps to relax you. It can also lower your blood pressure, improve your concentration and help you sleep.
- Your body can accumulate a residue of medications and impurities from the environment. Soaking in a bath of Epsom salts can pull these toxin from the cells of your body through reverse osmosis. This is a process where salt is drawn from your body and the toxins come with it. It can also soothe your nerves by balancing your electrolytes.
- Sulfates trigger the pancreas to release digestive enzymes as they are needed. While sulfates are not easily obtained through foods, they can absorb very quickly through your skin. Sulfates can aid your nutrient absorption. They are also important for production of mucin proteins, the cells that secrete mucus along your digestive tract.
- According to Natural Home Remedies, Epsom salt can assist in blood circulation, aid in wound healing, remove foot odor, soften your skin and increase your strength and stamina. The Epsom Salt Council adds the benefits of increasing the effectiveness of insulin, lowering blood pressure, improving oxygen use and easing the pain of migraine headaches.
- The use of Epsom salt baths is not recommended without the consultation of your health care provider. Hypermagnesemia in a condition of excess magnesium that may be fatal. Epsom salts should not be used if you have an allergy to sulfur or if you are pregnant.